South African Teaching Qualification in Oz

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TEA View Drop Down

Quote TEA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South African Teaching Qualification in Oz
    Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 8:17am
HI. I'm hoping that someone can tell me whether a South African Higher Diploma in Education is recognised in Australia, OR where would one access this information without having it formally assessed?
Any SA teachers teaching in OZ...what are your experiences?
Star
Mary Cockerill View Drop Down

Quote Mary Cockerill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 5:32am
Hello Tea
If you have completed the 4 years Higher Dip ed, or a 3 year degree and then the 1 year Higher dip ed your quialification would most probably be assessed as acceptable by TA in Australia for immigration purposes. But you would also need the minimum 1 year work experience. If you need points for work expereince you must have 3 years out of 4 prior to lodgement of an application.

Regards Mary
TEA View Drop Down

Quote TEA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 7:17am
HI Mary
Thank you for your response.  Yes, I have a 4 year Higher Dip ed in Intermediate and Senior Maths and have been teaching since 2000.  My main concern is that I have been doing supply teaching since arriving in the UK 3.5 years ago and so have not been teaching full time in the past 4 years.  Does my teaching experience before 2006 count for something?
Regards
TraceySmile

Quote Mary Cockerill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 10:09am
Hi Tracey, for immigration purposes they look at 3 of the last 4 years prior to lodgement so you can to back to Feb 2006, as a supply teacher to you do the equivalent of 20 hours per week? DIAC would look at the total of time worked, and as long as it is no less than 20 hours per week it would be ok. What age are you? all these factors are taken into account. Regards Mary
TEA View Drop Down

Quote TEA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 7:23pm
HI Mary...Thank you for your advice.
I am a little concerned that my supply teaching might not add up to the required time.  I am 43 so time is running out for me.  We are off to London this weekend to an expo on emigrating to Oz...hopefully I will get some answers then. *fingers crossed*  
TEA View Drop Down

Quote TEA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 9:01pm
HI Mary or anyone who might be able to help me.

One of the requirements for a skilled migrant visa is:
  • Have completed at least 6 weeks (30 days) of supervised teaching practice related to your nominated teaching occupation. You must include evidence of this with your application;
  • I guess this is our 'teaching prac'.  Because I qualified 'on the job' (JCE in association with the Bureau for In-Service Teacher Development and National Union of Educators) I never did pracs as such. Will this be a problem for my application??   It does show 'Teaching Experience - CR' as well as a mark in my final year, on my transcripts over the 4 years of study. 

Thank you Wink

Quote Mary Cockerill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 3:49am
    Hi Tea

From what I understand from TA I think your qualification and the method of learning (in house) will meet with their requiremements. But until everything is sent to TA, it will be impossible to determine.

How did the Expo go?

Regards

Mary
    TEA View Drop Down

Quote TEA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 6:48am
    Thank you MarySmile

We have postponed going; now going to the Expo in Leeds on the 27th March...will let you know how it goes.
    What a daunting process this whole oz emigrating is!!  Especially here from the UK when I need 'stuff' from SA.Stern%20Smile

Quote Mary Cockerill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 7:01am
    Hi Tea

Well if you do need anything from SA I can assist. I am always obtaining SA birth certificate, Military service records and SA police clearances for people who are all over the place.

Yep the whole process can be quite daunting, but even more so with the current flux being caused by the Aussie government.

I have been watching the posting in the 'PomsinOz' sight, and I know there is much confussion being experienced. Unfortunately I only post limeted info there, becuase it is 'manned' by a lady who, while knowledgable, is very possesive of 'her sight' and ripped into me!! and the fact that I am not a Registered Agent (even though she is not an agent registered or otherwise!).

Anyway, I am interested to hear how the expo goes on the 27th and what informaiton is given out. So please let me know.   And when the time is right and you need docs from here I can assist.

Best Mary

Post Reply Post Reply