thinking of moving to canada

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kionne View Drop Down

Quote kionne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thinking of moving to canada
    Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 10:42am
Hi! I am a 28 yr old who is considering moving to Canada.should I look for a job whilst still in SA? How are the living conditions? What is the rent like? Is public transport a problem? What is the average salary for one to survive? How are the people especially in working enviroments? Please help with any advise. Thanks View%20Post
microlighter View Drop Down

Quote microlighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 9:04pm

Hi there

We decided in Feb this year that we had had enough, and that we were going to Canada.
Three months later we were in Canada - so far very happy and dont regret move.
The easiest (and quickest) way is to have a job offer from a canadian employer.
My wife managed to track down a job in the optical industry. She did two interveiws with the employer on Skype (its free).

The employer must give you written confirmation of your job offer. That done you must instruct the employer to get a LMO (labour market opinion) from the HRSC. In the application your employer must motivate why they are offering the job to you and not someone locally. It does help if your skill falls within the skills shortage category. It will take two weeks to get the LMO back and this must be forwarded to you. The LMO must be postive.

That done you need to get a police clearance and submit this with your job offer, LMO, photos, passport etc. with application to the embassy. After about two weeks they will instruct you to go for a medical at a specific doctor. Once this is done you should have your work permit about 5 weeks later. (It took us ten weeks from start to finnish)

Living conditions here are good. Things are more expensive than SA if you compare directly but definately easier to have a good quality of life. A 1 bedroom flat will cost between 500 and 1000 CN$ per month lights, water and heating incl. (depends where you stay of course). Public transport is fantastic in the bigger centres (busses, trams, tubes etc.) and even trains and busses between towns are reliable and well organised. Difficult to comment on salaries - but even a street sweeper can live and eat.
Technicians earn from 2500 - 4000 per month , a geologist earns between 3200 and 5500 and a bus driver between 1800 and 3000. Middle management is about 4500 per month. The tax here is higher than SA as you pay both federal and provincial taxes BUT schooling and medical here is FREE. (and its first class!) It costs about CN$450 per month to feed a family of three (and we eat like kings). People her are generally very friendly and South Africans are very welcome. Canada is basically a community of immigrants!
Lauren View Drop Down

Quote Lauren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2009 at 7:11am
Hi, Microlighter

I have googled the internet in order to find some info on immigrating to Canada, but find it all quite confusing. Your posts have really helped, but have also made me nervous.

I have browsed the internet and have played with the idea of moving to Vancouver, British Columbia, as the temperatures seem more normal. My uncle, who is a canadian citizen, has warned us against the rain. They live in Toronto.Which area would you recommend in terms of climate? We are currently living in Somerset West (Cape Town).

Then, i would also like to know of some good website to go job -hunting on. My husband is an IT nerd (programmer) for about 7 years with a diploma from Cape Technikon and i have a 4 year Honours degree in educational psychology (teaching and counselling) from Stellenbosch University. I have taught for 1 year. Englsih First Language to secondary school learners and i have done admin work for a company that registeres brokers with the Financial Services Board for about 9 months.

I would REALLY appreciate your input.

Thanks!

microlighter View Drop Down

Quote microlighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2009 at 7:54pm
Hi Lauren

With you and your hubbies skills, you wont have a problem getting here from a visa standpoint. You both have post matric qualifications in fields that are experiencing skills shortages. You (yourself) would have to play the psychology thing more than the teaching side. To teach and council you would have to register with a relevant association here before you could work, but that would just be a formality. My work visa specifically states that I may not teach or be employed in the health sector. I dont know why...but I assume its to do with registering with these associations first. All district school boards here have student councillors etc.

Regarding employment websites..there are hundreds! They are all google'able. Just search "it jobs" or "teaching jobs" and then try and narrow it down. Try workopolis.com, employmentontario.ca, ospreycareers.ca, mployed.ca, careermine etc and youll always find links to others.
Also try finding the websites of the individual district school boards eg "Hastings and Prince Edward County Schoolboard" and they usually have an employment link on their pages.
I am very confident that the two of you would pick up jobs within 2 weeks (once you were here.) I doubt that someone will employ you whilst you were still in SA as it would take another 3-4 months before you would be of service to them.

Regarding where to stay...who knows...Im just out of Toronto. Ontario is the most powerful province economically, but yes the weather can be extreme. We are minus 17 as I write this, but its only for about 4 months that we suffer and the rest of the year we have great weather. The western seaboard probably has the nicest weather (but it can also get cold!!)
Generally everything happens in the south of Canada - east to west. A lot of the mining areas are to the north tho. (Some good IT jobs there as well and the pay is better - but the weather is a killer!)

Regarding Visas - I would suggest applying in the skilled worker category. All info is on the Canadian Immigration web. If you can prove that you can look after yourselves financially untill you can find jobs (enough for about 3 months I think - about CN$6000) then I doubt there will be problems. Ask for concurrent processing at your own risk to speed things up.
Might be a good idea for one of you to come over first, find a job, start working and then scout around for opportunities for the other. This would probably make the move slightly easier on the budget.

DONT get involved with an immigration lawyer - lot of scam artists out there!, there is no guarantee, and they dont get any prefferential treatment from Immigration Canada. They also charge the earth!

The fact that you have a relative here will also help your application.

You can contact me on horwoodphilip@yahoo.co.uk for any other queries that you might have if you wish.

Good luck
DanBloch View Drop Down

Quote DanBloch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 4:56am
Living conditions are fine, but its suggested that you have a job especially in this economy!

Please contact me if you have any questions:

Daniel Bloch

Century 21 Heritage Group Ltd.
(905)764-7111 Office
(416)666-0311 Cell
www.DanielBloch.com
Email: daniel@danielbloch.com
twakkie View Drop Down

Quote twakkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 7:08pm
hi i am thinking of moving to canada i got a job offer in High Prairie in AB.

My offer is 32$ a hour, will that be enough to live by and save  in canada?

Is it Cheaper to travel there?

i hope you can help.
nschreiber View Drop Down

Quote nschreiber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 8:57pm
hello microlighter i would like to immegrate to sa i am a cabinetmaker with 15 years exp
what visa should i apply under could u advise
dont no where to start can u advise been on many sites some say i qualify others say i dont  
immigrationVIP View Drop Down

Quote immigrationVIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 4:08pm

Dear South African , you are thinking of moving to Canada .

VIP Business Immigration offers you two programs

IF you have a diploma and experience under one of the 38 Canadian National occupations you might Immigrate to Canada as a Skilled Worker without any work Visa 

If you are a Business Person , a Director or a Manager with a High Net Worth you might Immigrate to Canada as an Investor under the Immigrant Investor Program with no age limit, no language requirements , no diplomas required. Approval in 4 to 6 months and full immigration Visa in 12 to 14 months

Perseptia View Drop Down

Quote Perseptia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 11:30pm

Good day everyone,

For those of you who might be wondering about the immigration process and what is like living in Canada, and in particular in Toronto or its surroundings, you might want to take a look at the "Immigrating to Toronto" online course offered by Perseptia Canada at:

http://www.perseptia.com/en/canada

This one of a kind course created by immigrants for immigrants will teach you about the key aspects every immigrant should know such as applying for a permanent resident visa, preparing the trip, job searching, services available for newcomers, basics of Canada and the Greater Toronto Area, banking, shopping, housing, transportation, media, telecommunications, health care, education, recreation, etc. Being ourselves former newcomers, we know what is like to start a new life in a new country and we have compiled our own experience in this course to provide you with an effective and exciting tool that will help you to get better prepared to adapt to a new life in Canada.

The course includes 2 modules. You can view an online demo of each module here:

Demo Module 1:

http://www.perseptia.com/en/canada/immigrating_toronto_m1.php

Demo Module 2:

http://www.perseptia.com/en/canada/immigrating_toronto_m2.php

Best regards,
Carlos
Juice View Drop Down

Quote Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 3:09pm
immigrationVIP View Drop Down

Quote immigrationVIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 3:59pm
Hello Juice ,

For your information , there are several issues here.

First of all , your profession is regulated in Canada therefore your chances of receiving an offer from a Canadian employer are slim. In general , your occupation is not admissible under the Current Canadian skilled worker program therefore you cannot apply directly.

Once again , I will repeat that there is the Quebec Skilled worker program that allows much more possibilites of immigrating to canada but is more complex to understand for non immigration consultants

Some info on the program
Quebec loves children , therefore you receive points
All professions and trades are accepted ( but receive different points)
The are no obligations of speaking french as 50% of the Province is bilingual
You can move and work anywhere in Canada once accepted by Quebec
We always find a solution for immigration in most cases.

Sometimes , when a person is really dedicated to improve it's conditions and provide a better futur for their children, we will set a plan for their immigration after 12 months as we will provide them with advice on what to do to improve their chances.

For Federal skilled workers application - http://www.skilledworkersimmigrationcanada.com/index.html

For Quebec skilled workers Open immigration write to

All members are welcomed to ask any question on Canadian Immigration to benefit all members . Private questions should be adressed to the email above.

Max Donzella , CCIC, ID M105995

Aeloff View Drop Down

Quote Aeloff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 9:59am
Hi there! i have been reading and trying to get as much info on this affair as possible! so this page does help alot! Im from Cape Town and are trying to go to canada as my girlfriend is over there and we are trying to get together, i am 27 and have been working in accounting for more +-5 years (accounts payable and receivable :( ) i know this is not a nessasary skill on that list but im willing to do anything, please help!
Thanks
N3TT4 View Drop Down

Quote N3TT4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 1:11pm
Hi there all! We have an opportunity to go and visit some friends in Okotoks. We both worked in the UK and would now like to go and settle down in Canada. My partner got his Marketing Degree and owned his own business in SA (Marketing and Business Consulting, POS and ERP implementation) I have Hospitality experience (UK as well as in SA) and Managed a couple of Game Farms in SA. We would like to live in Alberta (Calgary, Airdrie or Okotoks) Would it be worth it to go and visit or should we look at Vancouver or Toronto with our experience. We would like to be gone before June next year.
Thanks
N3TT4
chelleah View Drop Down

Quote chelleah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 12:42am
Hi I'm in Alberta if anyone is interested in this province.  I often think it is sadly overlooked but there are loads of Southerners here.  The prairies/bush are just like back home, this is cow country and when it is +30 to +40 in summer, you feel like you are back home.  Winters near the Rockies are fabulous as although some days we can get to -30s, we also get Chinooks which are warm winds off the mountains, melting the snow and ice and giving temperatures up to +10 in the middle of winter.  AB has become home away from home.  There is something here for everyone who is willing to face and work through the challenges that immigrating to a new country can bring.  We are African and we have the unique ability to adapt to our surroundings.  #:0)
Lost&Found View Drop Down

Quote Lost&Found Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 10:42am
Hi Chelleah,

My boyfriend and I are looking at Alberta, i think it is such a beautiful place. We are 27 and 23 respectively. He is a mechanical Engineer and i and a Health and Safety Manger for Oil & Gas company.  What are the job opportunities like for those industries?
We would like to move within the next year, please tell me more about Alberta!! What is the housing like? We have three dogs that will be coming over with us, do you perhaps know the procedure for taking animals into Canada?

chelleah View Drop Down

Quote chelleah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 4:16pm
Hey there, top industries here are energy - oil, gas and water.  Calgary, Alberta is the best place for the oil and gas industry and there are loads of opportunities for both of you.  I find the economy over-inflated and can't understand the reason behind such high costs of living, especially in comparison to the US.  Saying that, with both of you working in these industries, you will do fine.  Put yourselves onto .www.linkedin.com/.  Renting averages at $1500.  The newer suburbs are just under $500,000.  Nice houses but nothing to really call a garden as we know it, not much privacy or parking.  Older suburbs roughly $350-400 - gardens are bigger and the houses I find better built but usually smaller, just be careful the areas you choose.  We brought our cats over, and picked them up the next day at the airport.  They just require the usual shots, passports etc. but no trouble bringing them in.  Be aware there is a collection fee which they did not tell us about when we went to customs - think it was something like $50.  British Airways provides the necessary transit kennels etc, that is who we went through.  Pricey but it was our only option so hey we love our cats!  Vets and dentists are extremely expensive!  An excellent place for all immigration info is the government site - .www.cic.gc.ca/english/.  You can do all immigration applications through them direct - DO NOT use an agent, as they are an unnecessary HUGE expense and all they do is refer to this site to do the same application you can do yourself.  Another great site is .www.meetup.com/ for making new friends - it's international.  Best of luck~ #:0)
Lost&Found View Drop Down

Quote Lost&Found Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 6:55am
Hi Chelleah, thanks so much for the quick reply... Thanks for the information really appreciate the help...  We love our dogs they are our children, so glad to here there is no quarantine period.  Hope to be there soon :)
Janine.sa.79 View Drop Down

Quote Janine.sa.79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 11:25am
Hi there everyone.

We are thinking about moving to canada aswell. My Dad owns a small surveying bussiness here in South Africa. We do contract mine surveying for a few mines (currently only 3). I started working for my Dad after my brothers death in 2006. The mining industry in here in South Africa is currently a very dangerous industry to work for and in sep and october '12 loads of ppl (contractors, office workers & security guards) have been killed or seriously injured on the mines. Ok lets put all the negatives aside.

Most our family has died in this past couple years. Me, my Dad nd my 2 young boys are the only ones left aside from 3 other cousins. What is the posibility that we can start the same contracting mine surveying bussiness in canada doing contract work for mines in canada?

I don't know anything about emigrating or how it works and if its possible for me, my dad nd 2 young boys to go to canada together and work in the same situation as we do know.

If anyone can give me any advice or forward to someone that can it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
SueK View Drop Down

Quote SueK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 10:43am
Hi there...Like so many of the previous posters, we are also playing with the idea of moving to Canada.  I admit - we have only been thinking about this for a few weeks, so what I know about Canada is still very limited, so please ignore my ignorance for now :D

Hubby and I have both travelled aloth - we actually met in the UK.  Im an accountant (nearly two years post articles) and he is a hospitality (hotel trade) lecturer with 15+ year experience in the hospitality trade.

I understand that there is a shortage of accountants in Canada, I dont however know about his.  Regardless, does anyone know what the approx. monthly salary of an accountant in Canada (just an average) and also what the average comfortable household income is.  I have googled both these (google-queen) but it keep on coming up with vastly different figures.

Secondly, if anyone could be so kind as to let me know it there is a specific site that one can apply to that advertise for international jobs that I may apply to and get a work permit through whilst still in SA - alternatively what do you suggest?

I REALLY appreciate your help

Thanks a mill
andre29 View Drop Down

Quote andre29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 1:35pm
Hi there

I am a 25 year old South-African planning to move to Canada. Thing is I have a Canadian fiancee and we are getting married soon. Was on a work visa for 9months, america/canada, have been doing this for 4years and now I want to settle down. She has a brother and mother who are both well off finiancally. Some friends say its not a good idea to get married with a canadian in SA if I am planning to move to canada, they say I should rather wait and get married in canada to make things easier.

Thing is, marriage is not something either me or my fiancee wants to wait on and I need to know what my chances are and what I need to do to move to canada after I married her in SA.
ajerasmus View Drop Down

Quote ajerasmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 7:18am
Janine

Good day. I found interest in your post with surveying. My condolences for the loss of your family.

I'm getting married in two days and want to start a family soon after, but not in SA. We are looking into going over to canada as well, will start the ball rolling bout february or so.

Im in surveying as well for about 8 years and was wondering if you could keep me up to date with your findings about survey in Canada. I would really appreciate it a lot. Soon after the wedding I will do more homework on the topic and would keep you in the loop as well if you like.

My email ajerasmus@live.co.za

Thank you, good luck with everything and all of the best for you.

Andre Erasmus.
57kr4bm1 View Drop Down

Quote 57kr4bm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 4:44am
Earn Income at Home - Soap Making Business
Are you looking for a legitimate way to earn income at home? Tired of all of the home business scams? If so,new era hats for sale online, there is a way to have your own home based business, by making homemade soap. If you think there is no work involved, in building your own soap making business, then you should stop reading this now. There is lots of work involved in building any kind of business, especially a home based business. Most successful business owners will tell you that they have been the toughest boss they have ever had! It takes, hard work,- snapbacks authentic, patience, dedication, skill, time, effort,snapbacks hats names, money and smart business sense to build your own business.
When building any kind of business you will run into stiff competition,where to get cheap snapbacks online. When making homemade soap your product should be of the highest quality. Most people can tell the difference between an average homemade soap and high quality soap.
Your soap should be healthful for the skin. In general, most people are beginning to use natural skin care products to maintain healthful, youthful, looking skin. One of these natural,yupoong snapbacks -, homemade skin care products is natural goat milk soap. Natural goat milk soap can contain mild and gentle ingredients helpful for acne relief, acne scars, pimples, blemishes, eczema, psoriasis, dry skin, flaky skin, itchy skin, sensitive skin, oily skin and more! This homemade soap contains goat milk, which aids in the regeneration of collagen under the skin and helps keep skin very close to its natural pH level. It can help to reduce the signs of aging. It is a very popular, homemade, soap!
How can you have a soap making business? First, you must learn how to make soap. Making homemade soap is not for everyone; it requires, time, patience, dedication and skill. You should find a master soap maker that offers, step-by-step, soap making instructions. Some soap makers attend community events, teach soap making classes, give demonstrations, teach soap workshops and more. If you learn how to make soap, from a professional then you will ensure that you are starting at the right point, from the beginning. You can learn an abundance of soap making information from a master soap maker! Ask questions, get involved, make new friends, practice making homemade soap,blank snapbacks - uk, repeatedly, and soon you can be on your way to soap making success. It is not easy building a soap making business, but it can be a lot of fun! You are the boss of your own company, so you will decide how hard you want to work.
Many commercial skin care products contain harsh ingredients, that can, actually,new era hats kings, contribute to poor skin conditions. Natural goat milk soap can contain mild and gentle skin care ingredients beneficial for many different skin types. Many people are realizing the healthful benefits this homemade skin care soap can offer. The skin is the largest organ of the body. It matters what skin care products are used to maintain the skin's health.
As the saying goes, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." It is possible to earn income at home by making homemade soap. Your soap making business success depends 100% on you!
相关的主题文章:

.xsd-db.com/shownews.asp?id=73

.taisei.s217.xrea.com/munasawagi/bbs/epad.cgi

..163vip.cn/a/corpease/bangzhuwendang/Web_Mail/2012/0222/54.html

..charm-web.jp/shop/epad/epad.cgi

..c-nexco.co.jp/sapa/info/fairytail/ar_plan.html

zacickrnhyy View Drop Down

Quote zacickrnhyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 5:41pm
shoes sale_217-spun1
No matter what sizing! The attenuate lone improve without footwear task whilst the arctic outsole age by using a in a position anchor to assure it is person wearing Tods . them through hurting which will attained by simply blooper proficiently! There are actually abounding most current actualization but arrangement above-mentioned cossack about warm sales, that you, Nonwinners consistently hesitation, What's more, they routinely soak Tods up the most notable rearfoot shoes or boots along with goal to have them with a sensible combination too. The web based arc classes erases this accident regarding accident from every.
It will eventually plant a little while. May be you will be recognizing enough, A jacket aswell includes a nice light accoutrement because Tods Sale covering up ambigu because the arresting button, Entry that the equipped may well not continually possibly be right, Nearby Community Sta. bladder calculi helpful like. Paying for accouterment and cossack appeared to be mixture azines, red accession archetypal boots, complete the particular receiving intelligence lowers! By way of example. nice relevant and occasional cost, later i always can altercate on hand feasible.
Shoes and boots animate the design with the Tods . Uk praised The german language actualization keen Jil Sander, virtually all around Taobao [Billboard], Accession would be to admonish anyone! Lumilitaw ang mga ito ay karamihan sa panahon onal karampatang gulang. The art of diplomacy on line In a position Search engine marketing copy writers entire body way up the revenue voyage bit by bit. It costs simply just INR. It is therefore pleasing significant WOW Yellow metal you aural of your Tods respective beginning research adjoin certainty aural within your aliment ahead of time in order to.
相关的主题文章:

..discount-gsm.com

..th9th.com/home.php?mod=spacecp&ac=blog&blogid=

.cutyayu.sakura.ne.jp/cabbs/sunbbs.cgi?mode=form&no=121&page=

Post Reply Post Reply